Intro
This blog has a little of everything.
A weekly blog post.
Slideshows of my pictures.
Links to videos
Playlist of songs that are played while here
Enjoy
A weekly blog post.
Slideshows of my pictures.
Links to videos
Playlist of songs that are played while here
Enjoy
Friday, October 1, 2010
Getting Around
Alright so I am now back in Istanbul and I have made a decision. Turks are the worst drivers I have ever encountered. My ranking would be from best or normal to worst is Maine-Massholes (spending the summer working there proved that fact)-Italians-Then Turks. If anyone who is reading this is planning on coming to Turkey at some point DO NOT RENT A CAR. The parking is less to none, and i'm still wondering how people get their license here. Turn signal is like it's not even there. The horn is constantly used to express disapproval of another driver, signal another car to go down a narrow street before you or just to tell the other driver to hurry up. And with so many people in the city (somewhere around 16 million) the traffic is awful at times and it's always about how fast to get to your destination. A manuver I have begun to notice is when an ambulence is making it's way through traffic people will try and follow it because it's getting you there quicker. It's crazy! The alternative is the better choice. The public transportation is amazing and on top of that inexpensive. I can take a dolmuş (a small mini bus that does a set route and you pay depending on the distance you are going), the bus (maybe a little more crowded but very inexpensive, the ferry (a personal favorite when crossing the Bosphorous because no traffic and the view is always amazing), and the taxi (haven't had the chance to experience this one yet but it's still a better option then you driving). I enjoy getting around the city now that I know how to do it. Crossing the Bosphorous is always a great experience no matter ferry or over the bridge. The view makes it spectacular.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
glad you are enjoying the views-- don't ever take them for granted. as for driving, I imagine there are some place in the US who can compete with Istanbul, they are just not in Maine.
ReplyDeleteNYC drivers can be a bit crazy at times, although I hear Texans are also bad, especially when they get snow - look out!
ReplyDelete