Intro

This blog has a little of everything.
A weekly blog post.
Slideshows of my pictures.
Links to videos
Playlist of songs that are played while here

Enjoy

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mutlu Yillar! Happy New Year!



2011 is here, and here to stay, for another 12 months.
Lots of new things to offer for everyone.

New Year’s here in Turkey is much more like American Christmas then one would expect. Many people give presents to loved ones around midnight and the number of red and white (santa) hats was tremendous as I walked down Istiklal Caddesi on Friday night. My host dad gave me a book (oh how well he knows me) by one of the famous authors of Turkey. Elif Shafak’s The Bastard of Istanbul is already a great read and to get a better feeling, as the writing is far superior to my own about this immensely intriguing city, I would recommend anyone read her or Orphan Pamuk’s novels that I love even more now that I am here.
I got the great privilege to celebrate the new year at my friend Charlie’s apartment, which is situated next to Galata tower. He is lucky enough to have the top floor with his room-mates and in turn they have access to the rooftop terrace. From about 11-1 we spent time dancing on the roof and had a great view of both sides of Istanbul and the fireworks that were displayed. (See Pictures)
The rest of the night was lots of people, music and food and I can say that I really didn’t sleep. I didn’t really think about it until I was leaving the next morning but my traditional New Year’s was usually just a ginormous ice cream sundae and a movie marathon at home, never anything like this, yet one more new thing.
I couldn’t sleep at all so I ended up leaving at around 7, stopped for some çay at a small café and then continued my way home. It was an odd experience, as the city was almost ghost like. It honestly is a different city between the hours of 6-9 in the morning, especially after new years. Finally yesterday I got to go out with my great Rotary Exchange friends Logan (Alaska), Laura (Canada) and Lauren (Texas) for a dinner to celebrate the new year ahead of us. We even got a nice little surprise of a gift from the restaurant, even if they didn’t realize it.
Well, as with any new year, brings about resolutions;
-First and most importantly, Make a final decision and commit to a college
-Almost as important in the short run, Turkçe!
-Blog Weekly (if not more, there’s plenty to talk about I just haven‘t been doing it)
-Go to prep class on Thursdays
-Keep up the fitness regime I’ve been having

2011 is here.

Stay tuned for some new pictures from the past few weeks, and finally the videos I’ve been taking. Should be posted later today or tomorrow. Comment as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment